Monday, August 22, 2011

And Look at the Two of Us

And Look at the Two of Us by s.kosoris And Look at the Two of Us, a photo by s.kosoris on Flickr.
I was listening to the Pet Shop Boys song "Rent," which gave me inspiration for this shot. I don't know if I really pulled off what I was trying to, but I gave it my best shot. I also should add, I've never seen the video before tonight (when I found it to post here), so it didn't influence this shot at all. Only the song itself did.

A while ago, my brother and I were discussing the Pet Shop Boys and "Rent" came up. I told him I thought it was a really pretty song. He agreed, but added that it's also really sad. Since then I've been listening to it on and off, paying special attention to the lyrics and I have to agree with him; it is sad.

The main inspiration for this is the first chorus and verse:
"And look at the two of us in sympathy
With everything we see
I never want anything, it's easy
You buy whatever I need
But look at my hopes, look at my dreams
The currency we've spent
(Ooooh) I love you, oh, you pay my rent
(Ooooh) I love you, oh, you pay my rent."

I built the Paradisa set Poolside Paradise for this. I thought it would get across the idea that this couple has whatever they want/need (especially with the butler present). Unfortunately I wasn't able to stage this so you can see the pool in the front yard which would've given that idea a bit better, but this worked. Then I wanted the girl to look unsatisfied, despite all the wealth around her. Meanwhile the guy is totally happy - that's why he's closer to the table and looking at her, not at the camera. I posted this version because you can see the background (and the palm tree, which is kind of behind the butler). I had another version that had the minifigs lit but the background was way too dark. So I went with this one because it better captured what I was trying to do (even though I like the other one more!)

When I was finished, I felt sorry for the rapper guy, so I took a portrait of him on my black background.

I hope I was able to convey everything I wanted to in "And Look at the Two of Us." Let me know what you think so I can improve the next time I try something like this again!

No comments: