Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Xbox 360 Saga


On Wednesday night, I came home from a friend's house. We had been making a new map on Halo 3's Forge, which we had called "Tunnels." My friend uploaded it onto his file share, so when I got home, I tried to retrieve it. And that was when the trouble started.
Halo kept freezing. If I rebooted the 360 with the game still in it, it gave me the "red ring of death" (pictured). But if I pulled it out and rebooted, or had a different game in, then it was fine. Examining the disc, it looked rather scratched up. So I decided to unplug everything, then try it all again in the morning.
The next morning, I tried turning the 360 on. This time I couldn't even get to the dashboard. All I got was the red ring.
I tried to go online to look into repairing my console. But I ran into a bit of trouble with that, so I had to phone Xbox. I had to get going though, so I had to phone them back after school. Thankfully, I found out that Microsoft had extended the warranty of the 360 due to this problem. My 360 was still covered!
I ran over to a friend's place. We then went to get Halo resurfaced (which was probably kind of dumb - we should have tried it first). Once it was resurfaced, we tried it out, and it worked fine. So after school I had to phone Xbox back. When all was said and done, my 360 had to be sent in. It should be back within two to three weeks, and I'll be getting a free month of Xbox Live for the inconvenience!
This did come at a kind of bad time though. On the one hand, I have essays to write, so I won't be distracted by Halo Wars. But on the other hand, I'm planning on writing one of the essays on Halo, using some quotes from Halo 3...so hopefully I'll be able to rely on Youtube, or go over to a friend's place to research.

No comments: